Value Stream mapping (VSM) is about identifying and analysing value from a customer/ patient/ service user perspective.
- Is a big picture perspective – it is the essential tool.
- Called a System Picture in Cumbria County Council.
- Helps you see the sources of waste in your value stream and processes.
- Focuses on improving the whole, not optimising pieces of the process.
- Is a tool for establishing a vision and implementation plan to get to that vision.
- You can use it to map your progress in improvement.
- Helps to focus on value across a number of processes rather than just a small part.
- Provides you with an action plan of potential improvements/changes.
Example of Value Stream Mapping
Templates and visualisations: