What we do
We have a range of training programmes which aim to equip our staff with the leadership skills they need to do their jobs. The programmes are evidence based and reflect the frameworks our partners use. These include:-
- Collective leadership approach, everyone taking responsibility for working together to improve care for our population. Michael West’s work identifies the elements necessary for teams to deliver high quality care
- NHS Healthcare leadership model and the Leadership Qualities Framework. Both are behaviourally based frameworks for leaders at any level across our system
- The Berwick Report –“ A promise to learn and commitment to act”, which describe the culture shift needed by our system
- Humble enquiry described by Edgar Schein as the way to engage by asking questions to which you do not know the answer. Authentic enquiry to build trust and understanding.
- Adaptive leadership Ron Heitfetz and Marty Lynski. They describe how to recognise and address the complex shifting problems (adaptive) that face us day to day when working across a system. Avoiding the common failure of leadership which is to think of all issues as technical requiring a technical solution, missing the need for an adaptive solution.
Core Development Programmes for people and teams are currently:
- Influencing and implementing Improvement
- Improving leaders
- Wellbeing and resilience
- Coaching conversations for leaders
Within the Developing people and teams strategy we constantly work collaboratively with our partner organisations to ensure that over time we plan, deliver and support our system in a more collaborative manner. To this aim we plan to move our work towards being totally collaborative in in its approach. We currently collaborate on 60% of all programmes and delivery of interventions to teams. We aim year on year to increase this by 20%. So by the end of 2017/2018 we will be 80% collaborative and 20% uni-organisational.